Every school must have a school council, it is the law, governed under Ontario Reg. 612. The purpose of the school council is “through the active participation of parents, to improve pupil achievement and to enhance the accountability of the education system to parents.” as outlined in section 2(1).
This 2-hour interactive workshop is intended for parents and school staff and digs deep into the nuts and bolts of an effective school council, including:
- membership requirements, roles and responsibilities and term of office
- setting goals and priorities
- running effective meetings
- establishing channels of communication
- accountability and fundraising